SAFE began as a nationwide, evidence-based, practical initiative designed to help the 70,000+ Afghan humanitarian parolees arriving as a result of Operation Allies Welcome in August 2021. The goal of SAFE at launch in March 2022 was to help parolees build a financial foundation in their new neighborhoods by offering linguistic and culturally appropriate education, counseling, and access to discounted financing.
SAFE has since evolved to serve all new humanitarian entrants in the United States and has added Spanish-speaking coaches. SAFE is a partnership between IRC and IRC-CEO, a successful project uniquely positioned to help new arrivals invest in themselves and their new American communities.
What is SAFE?
SAFE includes an in-language (Dari, Pashto, Spanish) web portal that will provide:
- Financial Education
- Self-study through pre-recorded video lessons
- Online classes taught by qualified financial coaches
- Financial Coaching
- Coaches speak various languages, including Dari, Pashto, and Spanish.
- Coaches are certified under Central New Mexico CC Coaching Training
- "Fresh Start" Discounted Loan Products*
- Available to all humanitarian migrants in their first two years in the U.S. Each loan product now has a base interest rate, and we offer discounts for application metrics such as good credit, good value on collateral, and the new discount for humanitarian migrants, in line with our mission.
- Managed online through our partner, Happy Mango.
- Please visit the SAFE website for detailed descriptions of available loan products, rates, discounts, and fee-based alternatives.
- Additional Resources
- Bank Accounts
- No-cost credit reports
- Free tax prep services
Who operates SAFE?
- CEO provides loan products to SAFE participants.
- The International Rescue Committee (IRC) hosts the SAFE Financial Coaches and web portal and provides financial education and coaching
- Refugee Council USA, state and municipal entities, state-level offices of refugee coordinating, and services can work to reach parolees not settled by IRC
Who is eligible for loans through SAFE?
- SAFE was initially launched in March 2022 as a response to Operation Allies Welcome and provided loans to interested Afghan parolees (or other humanitarian status for entry to the U.S.). The SAFE Loan Fund stopped issuing loans in July 2022.
- SAFE is now available to all humanitarian entrants. Loans are available to clients living in states where CEO makes loans.
- Financial coaches will facilitate referrals for loans from CEO. Financial coaches ensure every applicant understands the U.S. credit systems and has received individual consultation regarding the risks and benefits of any loan relative to their unique financial situation.
SAFE Fund Investment/Funding
The SAFE Loan Fund funds were raised for various means, including grant funding and private investment. CEO now offers loans to new arrivals through the Fresh Start Fund. Interested in supporting these efforts? Please send us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions about SAFE can be directed to email@example.com
If you are looking to access SAFE services and/or loans, please visit safeirc.org
*Loans currently available in the following states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Washington D.C., Georgia, Iowa, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Texas, Utah, Virginia, and Washington. More states to be added over time*